And we're in Denmark! Hats and warm jackets are on!
Now, some of you might wonder why, exactly, we'd decided to visit Denmark (and Iceland) during the absolute coldest time of the year; There is an explanation! You see, I am still finishing up my BA at University of Copenhagen (just not attending very many classes -- the commute is a b#tch), and I had to defend my BA thesis in front of a panel of professors on January 23rd, so that pretty much settled that.
And here I am -- en route to exam!
One last good luck kiss...
...and BOOM! I got top marks! Pretty neat way to start a vacation.
Afterward, we strolled from my campus into town. Here's some urban Copenhagen scenery for you.
Carlsberg Glyptotek.
The Danish megabrewery Carlsberg does a lot of art funding; This is a museum sponsored entirely by Carlsberg and it is quite fantastic...on the inside as well.
(Wow! Carlsberg x 3 in three lines. I'm a tiger at this branding thing)
Folketinget og Evan
(Danish House of Parliament...and Evan)
Gl. Strand (Old Beach)
~ Copenhagen gorgeousness ~
To celebrate my exam and the start of our vacation, we went to Nyhavn...which I'm now realizing we don't have a single picture of...Oh well, it's only one of the most picturesque places in all of Copenhagen. Wait, I'll borrow a picture from the great Interwebs so y'all can see, what I'm talking about:
See!? Pretty freakin' pretty.
Anyway, we went there to get what was to become the first of many old school Danish meals, smørrebrød -- or as you English-speakers have dubbed it: The Open-Faced Sandwich. Basically, it's rye bread (not as in Jewish deli style white rye bread -- but as in really dense, grainy pumpernickel-style bread) with all sorts of toppings. You choose smørrebrød, for example, with either herring, meatballs (frikadeller), fried ling, beef, liver paté, or shrimps...you name it. If it's maritime or old school, you can slap it on a piece of rugbrød (rye bread) and call it smørrebrød!
Evan chose thinly sliced roast beef (they top it with tartar sauce, horseradish, parsley, pickles and other stuff too, I'm sure) and I chose fried ling. Yummerooni! Also, this place, "Told og Snaps," makes their own snaps (read: Fire Water) -- and snaps is mandatory with smørrebrød. And for good measure, we had a beer too, naturally.
Evan's deciding what he thinks about the whole thing...
(it was later disclosed that, while he enjoyed his own smørrebrød, he preferred mine. It makes sense, since I am such a pro at picking smørrebrød)
Now, I don't exactly know if it was 'cause we were still jetlagged and I was exhausted from the whole exam thing or what...but those two beers and two tiny shots of snaps you saw earlier? Well...they got us d*r*u*n*k. Like, for realsies!
Ha! See!
(Also, damn he is handsome, isn't he? I mean, seriously...)
I mean, I don't know what was in that snaps...
But, even though it was unbelievably cold, we were really tired, and not to mention...eh...slightly...eh... buzzed...I nevertheless, still decided that it was the peeeerfect time to take Evan sightseeing. I'm not exactly sure why, but I remember it felt very important at the time.
So, here he is at the Queen's Palace (and the Opera house is gleaming in the background).
Queen's Crib. And my Hub.
Queen's...eh...drive way, I s'pose.
Yeah yeah, I said I'd try to limit the amount of lovey-dovey pictures...I didn't say you'd be spared entirely! Muahahaha!
Me busting a pose in front of the Opera, before we finally surrendered to the cold, the fatigue and the alcohol in our blood...
A pretty fantastic day.

No comments:
Post a Comment